Ease Into The New Year
1. Karl has half the Jelly Babies that Chris has. Wiz has 3 times as many as Karl. Together they have 72. How many Jelly Babies does each one have?
2. I am 14 inches taller than Al Gelman. The difference between myself and Nordtorp is two inches less than between Nordtorp and Al Gelman. At 6′6″, I am the tallest. How tall are Nordtorp and Al Gelman?
3. The Puzzlania Rugby Team had just won the championship game and the players wanted to congratulate each other. They began shaking hands, but each player only shook hands with every other player just once. There are, of course, only 15 players on a rugby team. How many times did the players shake hands?
4. A jar has 4 amoebas in it to start. Amoebas split their cells in two (therefore doubling in size) once every minute. The jar will be completely filled in 10 minutes. How long would it take to fill the same sized jar if had 8 amoebas in it to start?
5. At the Annual Puzzlania Golf Tournament, 100 golfers enter. I didn’t bother this year, as I have won the last 10 years in a row, and felt it was time to let the less skilful players have a chance. 100 golfers start the contest. If a player loses a match, he is immediately eliminated from the contest. How many matches will be played to determine the winner?
6. Find a simple method of solving:
6751X + 3249Y = 26751
3249X + 6751Y = 23249