10 Of the Best…?
1. If 3 salesman can sell three stoves in 7 minutes, how many stoves can six salesmen sell in seventy minutes?
2. Which number when added to 5/4 gives the same result as when it is multiplied 5/4
3. Using only 3 cuts, how do you divide your round birthday cake into 8 equal slices?
4. A fish is fifteen inches long. Its head is as long as its tail. If the head were twice as long as it really is, the head and tail would together be as long as what’s in between. How long is each part of the fish?
5. What would be the next number in the following sequence -
11 1,331 161,051 19,487,171 ???
6. The square of 13 is 169. Take the last digit of the square, 9, and place it in the middle, making 196. This is the square of 14, the next number above 13. What are the next numbers which also have this property?
7. There are several ways to come up with 100 by using all the digits 0 through 9. One way is: 0 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + (8 x 9) = 100. How many more ways are there using plus, minus, divide, multiply and of course brackets….?
8. If 1/2 of 16 were 13, what would 1/3 of 32 be?
9. You have a huge box of beautiful decorated tiles, enough to provide a border in two rooms. You really can’t figure out how to arrange them, however. If you set a border of two tiles all around, there’s one left over; if you set three tiles all around, or four, or five, or six, there’s still one tile left over. Finally; you try a block of seven tiles for each wall, and you come out even. What is the smallest number of tiles you could have to get this result?
10. Of all these questions, which one was impossible?